Friday, August 28, 2015

Under the Stars

As I was posting “Hats For The Winter”, I realized I didn't post a picture of the finished quilt, Under the Stars. Silly me....

This year's resolution was to reduce my fabric scrap bin.  Also, I promised myself  not to buy any fabrics to complete a fabric scrap bin project. Last winter, I saw this quilt on Facebook. This is a Roberta Kuhn pattern. Since I promised myself to reduce my fabric scrap bin, this pattern came to mind. It sews up pretty fast.. You could use this pattern as leaders and enders instead of a small piece of fabric (which is most commonly used). It’s making two quilts a one time. Of course, my other quilt was paper piecing. Ugh!




This is a free quilt (not purchasing anything to make complete a quilt), I choose to make it a lap size quilt. Its a little oversized.  It measures 72” x 84”



I took a Craftsy class called, “Creative Quilting with your walking foot”.Since this was a free quilt and a keeper, I wanted to quilt with my walking foot. I know I should have started off with something small. But I wanted to dive right in. In my earlier post, I showed you my quilting space. This quilt was on my sewing machine being quilted at the time. My throat plate is very small. But I manage to get it quilted with my walking foot. I did an off center continuous circle. You can see in the pictures (left and right). I started in the 2nd row,  3rd column and spiral out.




 I love back art on quilts. It makes a 2 for 1 quilt. Here, larger pieces of scrap fabrics were used to create the quilt back.





I chose to do the flanged binding by machine method. Lorna McMahon from Sew Fresh Quilts did a tutorial. It was my first time trying this method. I have to admit, I like how it turned out. I will be doing this in the future when adding a touch of color at the binding edge quickly.





Every quilt must have a label. I embroidered mines on the backing before pin basting. 


Under the Stars was finished on March 27, 2015.


In light of using scraps, I didn't seem to put much of a dent in my fabric scrap bin, So, I'll make another one. But this time as my leaders and enders. Who knows how big the next one might get. I will keep you posted on my progress.


Now, go sew to make someone HAPPY!

Tea
There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. 1 John 4:18

No comments: