Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Hats For The Winter

I know it is not winter. And I know some are not waiting to see come after last winter. But I just wanted to get a head start on some winter hats for my goddaughter. They are made from fleece; just the right warmth for our Southern California weather. But this year, we are expected to see El Nino. So these fleece hats will do the job.


I think most of us hate throwing away fabric. So we store in hope to make some with it.  Well this year, I was determined to downsize my studio space. I came across a bag full of fleece material from my goddaughter’s robes. I kept thinking, why am I keeping this FABRIC?! Well, the light bulb came on. And out of the bag of fleece, hats were made for free. Yahooooo FREE!



I use my embroidery machine to make the 3D flowers. The design (Nested Flowers) is from Embroidery Machine Essentials: Fleece Techniques book and CD by Nancy Cornwell. I used segments 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, and 9 from the embroidery design. The flowers were applied using segments 8 and 9.  When only segment 8 was used,. I glued a pearl in the center.







I used buttonholes for the turquoise hat to weave the ribbon through.

I used a covered button on the purple/pink/white hat.




I had a cover button and brown ribbon in my stash to accent these hats. All these hats were fun and a breeze to make. All were made in one evening. Now that's fast for you.

So, while you are Spring Cleaning your studio, make someone HAPPY with your scraps.

Sew to make someone HAPPY!


Tea

No comments: